Thursday, October 4, 2012

Frozen and scattered


My goal is to start developing my identity as an artist. This is proving a lot harder than I thought. Since coming home from residency I've been consumed with three things: 1) getting my boys back on track with school. 2) getting work in order 3) figuring out how to start this study plan.

I just want to reverse the order of my priorities - me first, then boys, then work.

What do I need to make art? Time to space out, alone time, dream time, play time, work space, clean work space, a glimmer of a direction or a specific goal.

So far I've made this blog. I'm writing this first post (hopefully I post it). I downloaded the full SAM animation program and played around with it a bit.

And yet...

I'm searching for a "daily routine" to kick-start my artistic practice that includes "reflection and documentation." I'm hoping I will develop the practice of drawing in a journal every day. That's a good habit. I think I will give myself the assignment of drawing the same thing everyday, that way I don't have to think/stress about what I'm going to draw. I'm going to draw a plant or a shoe every morning.

Ah, feeling more focused already.

The thing I need most is movement. I need to walk, run, and stretch in order to think. I need to get back into my morning routine of walk/running the lake and I want to go to a yoga class once a week. I can do that.

In the meantime, here's a beautiful animation I found in my online hunt aka "online research."
http://vimeo.com/12155835



No comments:

Post a Comment